Area Agency on Aging Region IIIA
KALAMAZOO COUNTY CELEBRATES ELDERHOOD
See the Brochure!
DESCRIPTION: Celebrate Elderhood is an initiative that brings attention to the issues of aging, challenging misconceptions and showcasing how this stage of the lifecycle enriches individuals, families and the community.
GOAL: To set a community standard where elders and the people and organizations that make up the network of service providers are valued, respected and supported so that Kalamazoo County is known as a great place to grow up and grow old in.
- Recognize innovations and best practices in services to elders by businesses, faith communities, and service providers.
- Recognize elders in general for their contributions and especially Senior Olympians and Veterans for their accomplishments.
- Promote scholarships for education and training opportunities in gerontology and related fields.
- Promote healthy aging and well-being.
- Promote intergenerational awareness and participation in events.
ACTION PLAN: A cadre of volunteers are working on activities to achieve the objectives, which includes creating the criteria for scholarships and best practice awards; a contest for 5th graders; events that include healthy physical, mental and social activities; a centenarian luncheon; regular articles for newspapers and social media; and collaboration with community events such as Art Hop, Air Zoo, KIA, Kalamazoo Valley Museum, libraries that will focus on aging in the Spring of 2017. Although the Celebrate Elderhood initiative, funded through foundation, business and individual donations, is intended to be continuous, an event honoring elders and award winners is planned for May 18, 2017 at the Radisson, with local personality Lori Moore serving as the Master of Ceremonies.
Volunteers for Celebrate Elderhood and other activities are being coordinated by the Kalamazoo County Older Adult Advisory Council and the Kalamazoo County Area Agency on Aging IIIA.
FIDUCIARY: Kalamazoo County Advocates for Senior Issues, a non-profit 501 (C)(3) organization is the fiduciary and will be accepting grants, donations, and payment for all events.