Area Agency on Aging Region IIIA
LONG TERM CARE OMBUDSMAN PROGRAM
Local Phone Number: 1-269-373-5161
Statewide Phone Number: 1-866-485-9393
Region IIIA Area Agency on Aging administers the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program serving Barry, Branch, Calhoun, Kalamazoo, and St. Joseph counties. The Long Term Care Ombudsman Program was created to address the quality of care and quality of life experienced by residents who reside in licensed long term care facilities - nursing homes, homes for the aged (HFA), and adult foster care (AFC) facilities.
The Ombudsman is practiced in:
- Explaining to residents what their rights are
- Empowering residents to communicate and resolve their concerns
- Providing community education regarding long term care issues
- Promote the use of best practices throughout the long term care system
The Ombudsman should be contacted:
- When you have unresolved questions or concerns about care in a facility.
- When you have questions about your rights in a long-term care facility.
- When you have questions on alternatives to nursing home care.
- When you want to learn more about best practices and creative solutions to problems in long-term care settings.
- When you have questions or need technical expertise on long-term care issues.
- When you want to schedule a presentation on issues related to long-term care.
Informational Fact Sheets
Michigan Long Term Care Ombudsman Program
Tips for Advocates: What to Consider When Visiting a Long-Term Care Facility
When Looking for A Nursing Home
Guardianship and Nursing Home Residency
Your Rights as a Resident of a Nursing Home
Health Care Decision-Making for Residents of Nursing Homes