|American Cancer Society ||1-800-227-2345|
- any medical appointment for cancer patients (all ages); two business day notice required; drivers are volunteers; rides not guaranteed but are usually provided; patients must be ambulatory; no fee, but donations accepted.
|American Red Cross (Veterans) ||(269) 353-6180|
- eligible veterans call Monday or Tuesday to schedule a ride on Thursday to the VA Hospital in Battle Creek (volunteer driver). Must have appt. at VA (preferably AM) & be able to get in and out of a small van. No fee.
|Metro County Connect (general number) ||(269)337-8222|
- county-wide origin to destination service; door-to-door transportation available but need prior approval. For age 62+ or a person with a disability, reduced rates available. Call 337-8477 if you live within 3/4 miles of bus routes. Outside that area, call 337-8858. Request service up to 7 days in advance, 8am-5pm, Sun-Fri, by calling 350-2970. Personal Care Attendant (PCA) may accompany rider at no additional cost - must be noted when making request. Vehicles are lift-equipped. Will travel to the VA Hospital in Battle Creek. One-way fare expected at time of boarding - exact change required. No Sunday service; cancellation policy, expect any of 3 vans of varying sizes
Metro County Connect Grocery Bag Assistance Program (269)350-2970
Hours: Tuesday & Thursday, 6:30-9pm; Saturday 7-10am & 1-9pm (based on availability); request service at time of scheduling; drivers will load up to 10 grocery bags on the van and deliver to the front door of passenger's residence; cost is double fare for the trip home.
Metro Transit (bus service)
- wheelchair lifts available on all fixed route buses; seniors and persons with a disability are eligible for discounted fares - call 343-8477 for certification forms (ADA) or to register by phone (senior discount, age 62+)
|Portage Senior Center ||(269) 329-4555|
- volunteer drivers transport individuals & small groups age 50+ to grocery stores & senior centers (not medical appointments), Monday-Friday, 8:30am-1pm; van is not handicap accessible; must reserve day before by 5pm; $3.50 donation requested per round trip; Portage residents only (but do not need to be PSC members)
|Senior Services, Inc. (donations accepted) ||(269)382-0515|
- limited availability; provides rides to persons 60+ to medical appointments & meal sites, Monday-Friday; van is not handicap accessible; call a few days in advance to reserve
- RSVP: drivers age 55 & up are matched with a senior client needing transportation for any purpose (waiting list)
- GIVE: (Faith in Action) volunteers age 18 & up are matched with a senior client needing transportation for any purpose - may be a waiting period to be matched, volunteer may stay as an escort.
|Shepherd's Center ||(269) 383-1122|
- volunteer drivers escort riders 60+ for medical rides Mon-Thur and for non-medical rides on Wed & Thur; drivers will stay for appointments; call Mon-Thur, 9am-noon to reserve, or leave a message on the 24 hour voice mail - advance notice is requested; call as soon as you have an appointment scheduled; cannot accommodate wheelchairs; $5 -$10 donation requested per round trip, but not required.
|South County Community Services||(269) 649-2901|
- volunteer drivers (their car) provide transportation Monday-Friday for adults 60+ in the Fulton, Schoolcraft, Scotts, &Vicksburg areas for medical appointments. Mini-bus takes groups every other week to grocery stores and other venues as requested. Donations are accepted.