Kalamazoo County Clerk/Register Office
To obtain a marriage license in Kalamazoo County, apply at the County Clerk's Office, 201 W. Kalamazoo Avenue or apply online (instructions below). MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED FROM 8:00 A.M. UNTIL 4:00 P.M.
- Men and women 18 years of age and older may contract marriage in Michigan without parents' consent.
- For purposes of marriage application, residency is determined by a current valid driver's license/state-issued I.D. reflecting your correct Kalamazoo county address:
- If one or both persons is a Michigan resident--they apply in the county where either applicant lives. This license is valid throughout the state.
- If both persons are out-of-state residents, they must apply in the county where they plan to be married. The license is valid in that county only.
- The following is required of BOTH PERSONS at the time of application:
- Valid driver's license/state issued I.D. showing correct address
- If under 21 years of age, CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATES are required.
- Other required information includes:
- Full names of each person
- Birth dates and places (city & state)
- Complete address (no P.O. boxes)
- How many times previously married
- Parents' full birth names
- Parents' STATES of birth
- Both applicants' social security number
- Fee per couple: $20.00 for Michigan residents; $30.00 for Out-of-state residents
- The marriage license becomes valid on the 3rd day following application. It may be picked up as follows:
|Apply on Monday||Pickup on Thursday, between 8:00 am & 4:00 pm|
|Apply on Tuesday||Pickup on Friday, between 8:00 am & 4:00 pm|
|Apply on Wednesday||Pickup on Monday, between 8:00 am & 4:00 pm|
|Apply on Thursday||Pickup on Monday, between 8:00 am & 4:00 pm|
|Apply on Friday||Pickup on Monday, between 8:00 am & 4:00 pm|
License is NOT available for pick up on weekends and legal holidays.
- The marriage must be solemnized within 33 days of application.
- County Clerk's Office is located in the Kalamazoo County Administration Building, 201 W. Kalamazoo Ave., 1st Floor, telephone: (269) 383-8840.
- Persons 16 and 17 years of age must show a certified copy of their birth certificate. Written consent of one parent or legal guardian, who must appear at the time of application, will be required. A driverís license or photo ID of the consenting parent is required. If parents are divorced, custodianship must be proven and a driver's license or photo ID must be shown by the custodial parent.
- Additional information or documentation may be required before this office will complete the marriage license application.
On-Line Marriage Application
Another new feature from the Clerk Division is the ability to make an initial application for your
marriage license on-line. Now you can apply to get married from the comfort of your own home. After you complete your on-line application, just come to the County Clerk's
office to finish the process. Here's a quick description of the steps:
- Disclaimer page - click on "I Acknowledge" after reading the disclaimer
- Document Search - locate the gray bar near the top of the screen and click "Online Marriage Application"
- Online Marriage Application - click "New"
- Complete all information as requested. Please fill in all names completely using full names - no initials or nicknames. Brides - please enter both your current last name AND your birth certificate last name, even if it is the same. Do not use abbreviations for street names or states. Do not use any punctuation.
- When completed, click "Submit"
- Review your information for accuracy and click "Confirm"
- The next screen will provide a number "ON-2010-####"
- Bring that number to the Clerk's Office along with driver's license/state ID and the required license fee (and certified copies of birth certificate(s) if you are under 21).
- The 3-day waiting period begins when the Affidavit is signed and the fee is paid in the Clerk's Office.