Kalamaoo County

Health and Community Services Department


Frequently Asked Questions

What is Healthy Kids?
Healthy Kids is a program for pregnant women, babies and children under 19 years of age.  It covers women during pregnancy and the first two months after pregnancy ends.  Babies may be eligible for up to one year after birth.  Children may be covered up to age 19.

Pregnant women and their babies need to get care early and return for regular checkups to stay healthy.  See your doctor, health plan, or call the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) office at (269) 337-4900 and ask for the MIChild-Healthy Kids form and fill it out right away.

For pregnant women, what does coverage include?
Coverage includes:

  • checkups (prenatal care) before your baby is born
  • lab and x-ray tests
  • prenatal vitamins
  • delivery (birth) of your baby
  • hospital care
  • care for your baby after he or she is born
  • other services that Healthy Kids covers

People who do not meet citizenship requirements qualify for emergency health care services. Pregnancy-related emergency services are:

  • delivery (birth) of your baby
  • hospital care

What does Healthy Kids cover?
Healthy Kids covers most medically necessary health care needs including:

  • Ambulance
  • Dental
  • Doctor visits
  • Family planning
  • Health check-ups
  • Hearing and speech
  • Home health care
  • Hospice care
  • Hospital care
  • Immunizations (shots)
  • Nursing home care
  • Lab and x-ray tests
  • Medical supplies
  • Medicine
  • Mental health
  • Personal care services
  • Physical therapy
  • Prenatal care and support services
  • Substance abuse
  • Surgery
  • Vision
  • Well-child visits
Healthy Kids must assure necessary transportation.  You can get help getting a ride if:
  • You do not have a way to get to and from a doctor visit, or;
  • You do not have a way to get medical items or services that are covered.

This policy also applies to dentist visits and getting dental items or services that are covered by Healthy Kids.  In some cases, the rides you need must be approved in advance.  If you belong to a health plan, contact your plan.  If you do not belong to a health plan, contact the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) office at (269) 337-4900.

How do I apply for Healthy Kids?
To apply for Healthy Kids, fill out the MIChild-Healthy Kids form.  For help in filling out the form, contact the DHS office at (269) 337-4900.  When applying you must:

  • Be a Michigan citizen or a legal immigrant
  • Tell us if you have medical insurance
  • List your family's gross income

If you or your family need help with food, shelter, or other daily living expenses, contact the DHS office and ask for the Assistance Application.

Children and pregnant women applying for assistance must also have a Social Security number or apply for one.  If you don't have one, and you have not already applied for one, we can help you apply.

How much income is allowed?
Every family's situation is different.  Call toll-free 1-888-988-6300 to get more information that will help you find out if you qualify.  When you become eligible, you must join a health plan.  You will get a packet from MICHIGAN ENROLLS.  It tells you your health plan choices.

How long does it take to process the application?
It will take 5 - 45 days to process your application, if you are approved or not.

How To Contact Us:

Department of Health and Human Services
322 Stockbridge
Kalamazoo MI 49001
Phone: (269) 337-4900

Michigan Department of Health & Human Services
Healthy Kids

Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services is committed to providing equitable, culturally competent care to all individuals served, regardless of race, age, sex, color, national origin, religion, height, weight, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.

Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Kalamazoo County.