Health and Community Services Department
Maternal Outpatient Medical Services (MOMS) - HEALTH CARE ACCESS AND OUTREACH
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Maternal Outpatient Medical Services (MOMS)?
Prenatal and postpartum outpatient pregnancy-related services for pregnant or recently pregnant women.
Who is covered?
Women who are pregnant or recently pregnant, live in Michigan, and are 185% or below the Federal Poverty Level (FPS) and are not eligible for full Medicaid and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Teenage: Someone who is age 17 or under at initial application. Teenagers automatically qualify.
- Emergency Services Only: Non-resident aliens, who are illegal aliens, or who have failed to provide proof of citizenship status. Clients are currently receiving benefits from Medicaid for urgent/emergent services only, which includes coverage for labor and hospital delivery services only.
- Incarcerated/Institutionalized: Residing in a County jail, halfway house, psychiatric hospital or other facility for longer than a calendar month.
- Extenuating or Unusual Circumstances
What is covered?
- Prenatal care
- Prescription vitamins
- Maternal Support Services
- Childbirth education
- Professional fees for labor and delivery
- Outpatient hospital care
- Postpartum care
- Other pregnancy-related services approved by the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services
Who will provide services?
Services are provided by many health care professionals, e.g.; physician, certified nurse, mid-wife, practitioner or an agency that participates in the program.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost. The client is given a guaranttee of payment letter to be used for the first 45 days at initial contact. This letter covers pregnancy-related services immediately.
How do women apply?
You can apply at our Health Care Access & Outreach office, the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), or at Family Health Center North. Addresses and phone numbers are listed below.
How long will it take to process my application?
It will take 5 - 45 days to process your application, if you are approved or not.
Locations To Apply:
Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
Kalamazoo MI 49001
Phone: (269) 337-4900
Family Health Center North
171 W. Paterson
Kalamazoo MI 49007
Phone: (269) 349-2646