Sex Offender Registration
How does one register with the Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Office?
A person required to register as a Sex Offender must bring a current State-issued photo ID, with their current address listed, to the front desk of the KCSO.
Individuals registering for the first time should also bring all relevant paperwork and $50 cash for the one-time registration fee, if not already paid.
If the address listed on the ID is not the person's current address, he or she must have it updated by the appropriate agency before presenting it to the KCSO. The process of transferring an address does not excuse the offender from registering at the time required.
Who is required to register as a Sex Offender in Michigan?
- lives permanently or temporarily in Michigan for 14 or more consecutive days, or
- works with or without compensation or
- are students in this state for 14 or more consecutive days, or
- who do one of the above for 30 or more total days in a calendar year
- convicted of a listed offense after October 1, 1995, or
- convicted of a listed offense on or before October 1, 1995 if on October 1, 1995 he or she is on probation or parole, committed to jail, committed to the jurisdiction of the department of corrections, or under the jurisdiction of the juvenile division of the probate court or the department of social services for that offense, or
- placed on probation or parole, committed to jail, committed to the jurisdiction of the department of corrections, placed under the jurisdiction of the juvenile division of the probate court or family division of circuit court, or committed to the department of social services or family independence agency after October 1, 1995 for that offense, or
- an individual from another state who is required to register or otherwise be identified as a sex or child offender or predator under a comparable statute of that state.
For the full text of the Michigan Sex Offender Registration Act, please visit the state's website.
The Michigan State Police maintain an excellent resource website for more information on the Sex Offender Registration Act.
Kalamazoo, MI 49048
Richard C Fuller
Paul G Matyas