Office of County Clerk/Register of Deeds

Apply for Marriage License

The Kalamazoo County Clerk / Register of Deeds office continues to be open to the public by appointment only. Most services can be completed online or by mail. Effective Thursday, July 1st our office will be open for walk-in service from 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM. If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 269-383-8840.

Clerk Place is granting in-person appointments for the purpose of obtaining Marriage Licenses on a limited basis. 

Please apply using the online application below and then visit this page to schedule your appointment.  Contact us with any questions you may have at: 269-383-8840 or

Apply Online

Please note: If the marriage is not scheduled to occur within 33 days, please wait to submit your online marriage license application.

How to Apply (Kalamazoo County Residents)

Apply for Marriage License Online

  • Complete the online application. Be sure to click "Submit" when you are finished. This starts the three day waiting period with the day you click "Submit" serving as the first day. Please see the Waiting Period section below for more information about the three day waiting period.
  • Once the three day waiting period is complete, you may pick up your marriage license at your scheduled appointment. Please use this link to book your Marriage License appointment.
  • Make sure you bring government-issued identification that shows your current Kalamazoo County address and the social security numbers of both parties. Only one party needs to be a Kalamazoo County resident. Both parties do not have to be present to apply. If only one person comes in to apply, they must be the Kalamazoo County resident.
  • Please remember that your marriage license will expire 33 days from when you clicked the "Submit" button.

Apply for Marriage License In-Person

  • Complete and print out the Marriage License Affidavit Worksheet . You can also complete this worksheet in the office. Make sure you bring: birth dates, birth places (city and state), current residence addresses, and social security number of both parties, and each parties' parents' full names, including maiden names and the state where each parent was born.
  • Schedule your Marriage Licenses appointment using this link.
  • Make sure you bring government-issued identification that shows your correct Kalamazoo County address. Only one party needs to be a Kalamazoo County resident. Both parties do not have to be present to apply. If only one person comes in to apply, they must be the Kalamazoo County resident.
  • Once the application has been submitted, the three day waiting period begins. Please see the Waiting Period section below for more information.


  1. Minimum Age: You must be 18 years of age to apply for a marriage application in Michigan. Persons 16 and 17 years of age must show a certified copy of their birth certificate and have written consent of one parent or legal guardian, who must appear at the time of application with picture identification.
  2. Residency: For the purpose of marriage application, residency is determined by a current valid driver's license or state I.D.
    • If you are a Michigan resident, you must apply in the county where you live. If both parties are Michigan residents but live in different counties, you may apply in either county. The license is valid throughout the state.
    • If both parties are out-of-state residents, you must apply in the county where you are going to be married. The license is valid in that county only.
  3. Document/Information: The following is required to be provided for both persons in order to complete the application:
    • Valid driver’s license/state-issued ID showing correct address. A legible printed photocopy is accepted for the party not appearing in person. Non US citizens who do not have a driver’s license or state-issued ID must provide a valid passport issued from their Country of Citizenship and must appear in person.
    • Social Security Numbers for both applicants. If you are exempt from having a social security number due to other legal reasons (citizen of another country here with a passport, work or student visa or in the process of becoming a citizen of this country) or exempt because of religious convictions pursuant to MCL 551.102{sec. 2(3)}, you must provide applicable documentation and must sign an affidavit to that effect. If you are ineligible to obtain a social security card, you must sign an affidavit to that effect in lieu of having the social security information.
  4. Fee per couple:
    • $20.00 for Michigan residents
    • $30.00 for out-of-state residents

    Method of payment includes credit/debit card, cash, check or money order payable to Kalamazoo County Clerk

Waiting Period

There is a required 3-day waiting period to obtain a license after submitting an application. This 3-day waiting period is considered satisfied if the online application is completed more than three days prior to coming into the Clerk’s office to pay the application fee and complete the process. In order to waive the three-day waiting period a $15 waiver fee is required in addition to the $20 marriage license fee.

The license is valid anywhere in the state for thirty-three (33) days from the date of application.

How to Apply (Out-of-State Applicants)

  • Applicants coming from out-of-state must apply for their license in the county in Michigan where the marriage is taking place.
  • Please find the out of state application here: Out-of-State Marriage License Affidavit Worksheet
  • The fee (per couple) for out-of-state applicants is $30 payable at the time you submit your signed/notarized affidavit. Method of payment includes cash, credit/debit, check or money order made out to Kalamazoo County Clerk.
  • Out-of-state marriage affidavits may be mailed to the Kalamazoo County Clerk once they have been signed by both parties before a notary public.
  • We ask that when you mail the affidavit, please include contact phone numbers for each of you, the wedding date, and your payment. This can be done on a separate piece of paper or a sticky note. We will not be able to process your request for the marriage license if there are any questions or problems and we are unable to contact you.
  • All out-of-state affidavits should be mailed to:

    Kalamazoo County Clerk
    201 W Kalamazoo Avenue
    Kalamazoo, MI 49007

  • The Marriage Licenses must be picked up in person prior to the ceremony, but not before the three day waiting period has expired. We will not mail the marriage licenses.


Divorces are recorded at the 9th Circuit Court. Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

In order to obtain a copy of your Judgement of Divorce please put your request in writing and mail to:

9th Judicial Circuit Court-Family Division Gull Road Justice Complex
1536 Gull Road
Kalamazoo, MI 49048

With your request, include $15.00 check or money order made payable to Circuit Court Clerk and a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Contact Us

Meredith Place 
Clerk / Register of Deeds

Elizabeth Byrd
Chief Deputy Clerk / Register of Deeds 

Physical Address
201 West Kalamazoo Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49007

Phone: 269-383-8840 (Clerk)
269-383-8970 (Deeds)
Fax: 269-384-8143

Office Hours
8:00am - 4:30pm Monday - Friday*
*Click here to schedule appointment

Closed on Holidays