Register of Deeds
If you want a recorded document to be returned, submit a self-addressed stamped envelope at the time of recording. The return address on the envelope MUST also appear on one of the recorded pages of the document (first if possible). Title Companies may make arrangements to pick up their recording.
Common document errors include incorrect fee, missing drafter name & address, name not typed beneath signature, notarial certificate incomplete, attachments which should be recorded separately, multiple Notary Counties of Commission and return to missing from the face of document.
- 2-1/2" margin at the top of the first page and 1/2" on remaining sides and additional pages. MCLA 565.201 Sec 3, Sec 1(f)
- Signatures must be original and names must be typed, stamped or printed beneath all written signatures. MCLA 565.201 (a)(e)
- No discrepancy in the names shall exist between the printed names of such person, as appears, either in the signature, and the acknowledgment or jurat. MCLA 565.201 (b)
- The address of grantee must appear on any instrument by which title to any interest therein is conveyed or assigned. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1(d)
- The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on the documents executed in Michigan. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1a, 565.203
- Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in Michigan must have an acknowledgement by a notary public. MCLA 565.8
- Effective 4/01/04 through 5/26/06 acknowledgement must state "Acting in the county of ______________" MCLA 55.287
- Documents must display on the first line of print on the first page a single statement identifying the single recordable event that the instrument evidences. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1(f)(ii)
- A certified copy of a death certificate or proof of death (a separate recordable event) must be recorded prior to the instrument of conveyance which states "survivor" in the grantor's section. MCLA 565.48
- The recorded death certificate's Document # MUST then appear on the instrument of conveyance with a grantor/"survivor"; if the two documents are submitted together, allow a blank space for us to insert the Document #. MCLA 565.48
- Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court to be eligible for recording. MCLA 565.401, 565.411
- The type on the form must be printed with black ink; type size at least 10-point type. MCLA 565.201
- The paper on which the document is printed must be white and not less than 20 pound weight. MCLA 565.201
- The size of the document and any attachment thereto must be at least 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches; at most 8 1/2 inches by 14 inches. MCLA 565.20
- The date of the document must appear, and must show in the Notary Acknowledgement if Notarized.
If the property conveyed is unplatted, the following statements are to appear on deeds:
"The grantor grants to the grantee the right to make ___ division(s) under section 108 of the land division act, Act No. 288 of Public Acts of 1967." (If no number is inserted, the right to make divisions stays with the portion of the parent tract retained by the grantor; if all of the parent tract is conveyed, then all divisions rights are granted.)
- This property may be located within the vicinity of farmland or a farm operation. Generally accepted agricultural and management practices which may generate noise, dust, odors, and other associated conditions may be used and are protected by the Michigan Right to Farm Act.
Clerk / Register of Deeds
Chief Deputy Clerk / Register of Deeds
Deputy Register of Deeds
8:00am - 4:30pm Monday
8:00am - 4:30pm Tuesday
9:00am - 4:30pm Wednesday
8:00am - 4:30pm Thursday
8:00am - 4:30pm Friday
The Kalamazoo County Clerk's Office is available to process CPL applications between 8:00AM-4:00PM.