Office of County Clerk/Register of Deeds

Frequently Asked Questions - General

Marriage Licenses

How much does it cost to get a marriage license?

$20 for Michigan residents, and $30 for non-residents

How long does it take to get a marriage license in Michigan?

Three days after application. If application is made on Monday, the license can be picked up on Thursday. Applications made on Tuesday can be picked up on Friday. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday applications can be received on Monday.

Do both people have to come to apply for the marriage license?

No. If only one applicant is present, however, please be sure to bring all the required information for the other person. That information includes:

  • Full name (first, middle, last)
  • Birth Date
  • Birth Place (City, state)
  • County of residence
  • How many times married?
  • Father's full name (first, middle, last)
  • Mother's full name (first, middle, maiden)
  • States of birth for both parents
  • Photocopy of driver's license (front & back, if address change) for absent applicant
  • Social Security number for absent applicant

How do I know what county to get my marriage license in?

The answer depends on whether or not you are a Michigan resident. If you are, you need to get your license in the county in which either you or your future spouse reside. The license can then be used anywhere in the state. If you are not a Michigan resident, you must obtain your license in the county where you wish to be married.

Must witnesses to marriages be 18 years old?


Certified Copies

How much does it cost to get a copy of a birth certificate?

All certified copies (birth, death or marriage certificates) are $15 for the first copy and $5 for additional copies of the same record ordered at the same time. Senior citizens (65 and older) requesting a copy of their own birth certificate pay $5.

I live far away. How can I get a copy of my birth certificate? Do I have to come in person?

Requests may be made by mail by completing the forms that can be printed. You are required to send a copy of your driver's license or state identification card with your request.

Can you obtain certified copies of marriage licenses or death certificates by mail?

Requests can be made by mail by printing the on line forms and mailing them to the Clerk/Register of Deeds's office with the proper fees.

How long does it take to get a copy of a birth certificate or other document?

Requests made in person can be obtained generally within a few minutes at the Clerk/Register of Deeds's office. Mail requests are generally filled within 2 weeks.

Can I get a copy of someone else's birth, death or marriage certificate?

Birth records are confidential and are available only to the person or parents of the person named in the record. If you are an heir, legal guardian, or legal representative of the person whose birth certificate you are requesting, additional documentation is required. Contact this office at 269-383-8840. Death and marriage certificates are not confidential.

I am adopted and want a copy of my original birth certificate. Can I get it from this office?

Adopted persons' birth records are not available through this office. Contact the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services in Lansing at 517-335-8656. Contact this office also for records of births that occurred prior to September 30, 1978 where parents were not married at the time of birth.

Business Names

Why do I have to register my business name with the county?

Michigan law requires that persons who own, conduct or transact business in a county register the business name in that county as a matter of public record.

My business had been incorporated with the state. Do I also have to file with the county?

No. Corporations, limited partnerships, limited liability companies, and non-profit organizations owned by corporations do not file at the county level.

How much does it cost to file my business name?

The fee is $10.00, and the certificate is required to be renewed every five years.

I have a DBA in another county and want to do business in Kalamazoo County, do I have to file a DBA there?

You are required to file a DBA in the county where the business is located, and you may file a DBA in Kalamazoo County. We will request to see and make a copy of the DBA filed in the home county.


Where can I apply for a passport in Kalamazoo County?
Augusta Post Office 112 W. Webster St. Augusta, MI 49012 269-731-4947
Brady Township Hall 13123 South 24th St. Vicksburg, MI 49097 269-649-1813
Kalamazoo Main Post Office 1121 Miller Rd. Kalamazoo, MI 49001 269-388-7225
Kalamazoo Township Hall 1720 Riverview Dr. Kalamazoo, MI 49004 269-381-8080
Oshtemo Post Office 6360 Stadium Dr. Oshtemo, MI 49077 269-375-4343
Plainwell Post Office 457 E. Bridge St. Plainwell, MI 49080 269-685-8661
Richland Post Office 8480 North 32nd St. Richland, MI 49083 269-629-4947
Texas Township Office 7110 West Q Ave. Kalamazoo, MI 49009 269-375-1591
Westwood Post Office 167 N. Drake Rd. Kalamazoo, MI 49009 269-343-7425

Register Of Deeds

What are the recording fees?

The recording fees for a deed, mortgage, lis pendens or other real estate instrument is $30, regardless of the number of pages. Any document which assigns or discharges more than one document, $3.00 shall be added to the recording fee for each additional instrument so assigned or discharged.

How do I find who owns certain property?

If you do not know the property owner's name, you may contact the County Equalization Department, County Treasurer's Office, or local City or Township Treasurer or Assessor Office. These offices will provide you with the name(s) that appear on the tax roll, which may or may not be the owner(s). With these names, you can then search our office for any recorded information. If you have a name and approximate year to search, our office may provide you with recorded information.

How do I search for a deed?

You need a grantor or grantee name to search any land record information and you should have an approximate year to search. The best way to conduct a search may be in person. Clerk/Register of Deeds staff will be glad to demonstrate how to use our computer system.



(Send Email)

The Kalamazoo County Clerk/Register of Deeds Office is assisted by volunteers from the Kalamazoo Valley Genealogical Society to assist the public with research. Genealogy volunteers are available several times during the week. Hours of availability often vary, so a telephone call is recommended prior to your visit. Please call 269-383-8840 to see if a volunteer will be available on the day you wish to come to the office.

Some questions may be able to be answered by email.

You may also contact the volunteer on duty by calling 269-383-8857.

IMPORTANT: Service will not be able to be provided if a volunteer is not present.

The following records are available for research in the Kalamazoo County Clerk/ Register's Office:

Marriage Records 1831 to present
Birth Records 1867 to present
Death Records 1867 to present

All the above records are open to the public, with the exception of birth records. However, if a person is deceased, an heir or descendant may access the person's birth record by providing a copy of the individual's death record. The requestor must provide a copy of his/her own birth certificate for proof of relationship. If you are requesting a birth record 100 years old or older, a death record for that individual is not needed.

Brief requests for genealogical information may be sent to the Kalamazoo County Clerk/Register of Deeds's Office to be answered by out genealogy volunteers. Please write to:

Kalamazoo County Clerk/Register of Deeds's Office
Genealogy Volunteer
201 W. Kalamazoo Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49007

Concealed Weapons Permits

To make application for a Concealed Weapons Permit under the amended law effective December 1, 2015, please follow the procedure listed below:

  • Complete a certified training program through the National Rifle Association or US Carry Concealed Association.
  • Obtain an application packet from the Kalamazoo County Clerk/Register of Deeds's Office or click here for an electronic version.
  • Submit your completed application to the Kalamazoo County Clerk's Office - 201 W. Kalamazoo Ave. between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. with the appropriate fees:
    • First time applicant is $100.00 and a renewal applicant is $115.00.
      • Current CPL holders may apply to renew their permit up to 6 months in advance of expiration.
      • If your permit has been expired for more than 1 year, you will need to attend another training program and have your fingerprints retaken.
  • The following information is required at the time of application
    • Completed application form (do not sign prior to submission to County Clerk). Only the new 2015 form is accepted.
    • Original training certificate. Certificates for training conducted on or after December 1, 2015 are subject to additional requirements.
    • Appropriate fees in the form of cash, check, debit or credit card.
  • You will be given a link to an online version of the current firearms laws of the State of Michigan. The firearms laws are also available here.
  • After the application is accepted at the Clerk's Office, you will receive a full page receipt. This receipt must be presented at the time of fingerprinting.
  • Fingerprints are taken at the Kalamazoo Township Police Department, 1720 Riverview Dr. Please call 269-567-7523 for an appointment. Walk-ins are not permitted. You must make an appointment. The $15.00 fingerprint fee is paid at the time of the appointment.
  • After your fingerprints are taken, Michigan State Police will review all the data and obtain all criminal activity from anywhere in the State of Michigan and through the FBI.
  • Michigan State Police will notify the Clerk's Office when an applicant is qualified for a CPL. Permits will be mailed on a regular basis.
  • All determinations on suspensions and revocations are received from the Michigan State Police and permit holders will be notified by the Clerk's Office.
  • Renewal letters will be mailed to all CPL holders prior to the expiration of their permits.