Office of County Clerk/Register of Deeds

Military Discharge (DD-214)

For a military veteran residing in Kalamazoo County, it is recommended that you record your military discharge (DD214) for safekeeping with the Kalamazoo County Clerk's office. There is no charge for a veteran to register a military discharge (DD214).

When registering, bring in your original discharge papers issued at time of discharge. Military discharges are confidential and are not allowed to be viewed by the public.

If you reside in Kalamazoo County and have misplaced your discharge, or need assistance with any veterans' benefits program, please contact the Kalamazoo County Veterans Service Office.

To obtain a certified copy of your Military Discharge/DD214 that has been previously recorded with the Kalamazoo County Clerk's office:

Please note: only an eligible person can receive a copy of a DD214 including veteran, person with veteran’s written permission, heir (documentation required), veteran’s service officer.

  • Complete the DD214 Certified Copy Request form.
  • Include a CLEAR photocopy of a valid driver's license or other government issued photo ID. An immediate family member or spouse may request a copy of a military discharge only with a certified copy of a death certificate and proof of relationship (birth certificate, marriage license) and valid driver license or other government issued photo ID.
  • There is no charge to veteran. Fee to veteran’s heir is $15.00/copy. Method of payment includes credit/debit card, check, money orders payable to KALAMAZOO COUNTY CLERK. Please do not mail cash.
  • Mail or drop off the completed application, copy of ID, stamped self-addressed envelope, and fee to:

    Kalamazoo County Clerk
    201 W. Kalamazoo Ave., Room 103
    Kalamazoo, MI 49007

  • A certified copy of your DD214 will be returned to you in the stamped, self-addressed envelope you provided by regular mail.


Kalamazoo County Veterans Service Office
Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
United States Department of Veterans Affairs

Contact Us

Meredith Place 
Clerk / Register of Deeds

John Curran
Chief Deputy Clerk / Register of Deeds 

Physical Address
201 West Kalamazoo Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49007

Phone: 269-383-8840 (Clerk)
269-383-8970 (Deeds)
Hablo español

Fax: 269-384-8143

Office Hours
8:00am - 4:30pm Monday
8:00am - 4:30pm Tuesday
9:00am - 4:30pm Wednesday
8:00am - 4:30pm Thursday
8:00am - 4:30pm Friday

The Kalamazoo County Clerk's Office is available to process CPL applications between 8:00AM-4:00PM.

Closed on Holidays