Office of County Clerk/Register of Deeds
The Kalamazoo County Clerk / Register of Deeds office continues to be open to the public by appointment only. Most services can be completed online or by mail. Effective Thursday, July 1st our office will be open for walk-in service from 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM. If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 269-383-8840.
A Notary Public is certified by the State of Michigan to administer oaths and to provide certification to signatures affixed to important legal documents and sworn statements.
Notary Public Commission applications are available through the Kalamazoo County Clerk's Office. Complete notary responsibilities and application information are also available through the State of Michigan website.
Applying to be a Notary Public
- You must be a resident of Kalamazoo County and be at least 18 years of age to apply as a notary public.
- Out-of-state applicants may apply if their principal place of business is located in Kalamazoo County.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted to the Kalamazoo County Clerk's Office.
- Obtain a surety bond of $10,000 available through a state-licensed insurance agency or bonding company. Attorneys licensed in Michigan who are in good standing do not need a bond but still need to complete steps 2-4.
- Complete the Application for Notary Public (PDF).
- Visit the Kalamazoo County Clerk’s office to finalize the application. Click here to make your notary appointment.
NOTE: You must bring the following items with you to the appointment:
- Valid government issued photo ID (driver’s license, state ID)
- Notary Public Application
- Surety Bond (Attorneys are exempt)
- $10 fee cash/check/credit card
The County Clerk will administer an oath of office and a declaration for applicant signature to verify that you have complied with all requirements and that all information on your application is correct, that you have read and understand the laws, and that you will perform all notarial acts faithfully.
Mail your processed notary application with an additional $10.00 check or money order payable to the 'State of Michigan' to:
Michigan Department of State
Office of the Great Seal
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, MI 48918
Your notary commission will be emailed or mailed to the address provided on your application from the Office of the Great Seal. If you have any questions about your notary application once you have mailed it to their office, you may call them at 888-767-6424 or visit the Secretary of the State's website.
PLEASE NOTE: You may not act as a notary public or perform notarial acts until you are listed as "active" on the State of Michigan website or you have received your notary commission from the Office of the Great Seal which may take several weeks.
Clerk / Register of Deeds
Chief Deputy Clerk / Register of Deeds
Office Hours *
8:00am - 4:30pm Monday - Friday
*Click here to schedule appointment