Office of County Clerk & Register of Deeds
- Signatures must be original and names must be typed, stamped or printed beneath all written signatures. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(a)(c)
- No discrepancy in the names shall exist between the printed names of such person, as appears either in the body of the instrument, the signature, the acknowledgment or jurat. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(b)
- Instruments conveying or mortgaging any interest in real estate shall state the marital status or any male grantors. MCLA 565.221 (Note: marital status is designated by the terms married or single)
- The address of all parties must appear on any instrument by which title to any interest therein is conveyed, assigned, encumbered or otherwise disposed of. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(d)
- The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on the documents executed in Michigan. MCLA 565.201a, MCLA 565.203
- Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in Michigan must be acknowledged by a judge, clerk of the court of record or by a notary public. MCLA 565.8, 565.47
- A certified copy of the death certificate or proof of death must be recorded when the instrument of conveyance states "survivor" in the grantor's section. MCLA 565.48
- Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court to be eligible for recording. MCLA 565.401, MCLA 565.411
- The document submitted for recording must be legible. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(f)(iv)
- Documents must have a margin of unprinted space of at least 2 ½ inches at the top of the first page and at least ½ inch on all remaining sides of each page. MCLA 565.201, Sec. 1(e)(iii); Sec. 1(f)(i)
- Documents must display on the first line of print on the first page, a single statement identifying the single recordable event that the instrument evidences. MCL 565.291 Sec. 1(f)(ii); 565.201 Sec. 3
- The type on the form must be printed with black ink; type size at least 10-point type. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(f)(iii)(iv)
- The paper on which the document is printed must be white and not less than 20-pound weight. MCL 565.201, Sec. 1(e)(iv); Sec. 1(f)(iv)
- The size of the document and any attachment thereto must be not less than 8-1/2x11 inches or more than 8-1/2x14 inches. MCL 565.201, Sec. l(f)(v)
Effective October 1, 2016, the fee for recording any document in the Register of Deeds will be $30, regardless of the number of pages.
This fee change was approved by the Legislature and signed by the Governor in June. This 8 bill package is now PA 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230 & 231 of 2016 and can be seen at the Michigan Legislature website: www.legislature.mi.gov. Any document received on or after October 1 will be required to have the $30 recording fee in order for it to be placed on record.
For entering and recording a DEED, MORTAGE, LIS PENDENS, or OTHER INSTRUMENT:
|Any number of pages||$30.00|
*$4.00 of this fee is deposited to the Michigan State Survey and Remonumentation (MSSR) fund.
*$5.00 of the total recording fee is deposited in the Kalamazoo County Automation Fund as established in MCL 600.2568
Any document which assigns or discharges more than one instrument:
$3.00 shall be added to the recording fee for each additional instrument so assigned or discharged.
The Michigan State Survey and Remonumentation fee is not required for Fixture Filings, State Liens, Federal Liens, MESC Liens, State Deeds or Plats.
A tax certificate must be obtained from the County Treasurer's office prior to recording any of the following (MCLA 211.135):
- WARRANTY DEEDS
- A DEED which contains a covenant of warranty
- LAND CONTRACT
- PURCHASERS AGREEMENT of a Land Contract to an individual
Fee for tax certificate:
|For up to 15 descriptions||$5.00|
|Each additional description||$.20|
Properties located within the City of Kalamazoo must obtain an additional city tax certificate. The Kalamazoo City Treasurer's office handles this function. Contact them at Kalamazoo City Hall, 241 W South St, Kalamazoo MI 49007, or by phone at 269-337-8036. The fee for a city tax certificate is $10.00.
Michigan Real Estate Transfer Taxes
A written instrument subject to the tax imposed by MCL 207.505 sec. 5 and MCL 207.526 sec. 6 shall state on its face the TOTAL CONSIDERATION of the real property, or a Real Estate Transfer Valuation Affidavit shall be filed. (See acts for details).
Transfer tax imposed by each act shall be collected unless the transfer is exempt from either or both acts and such exemptions are stated on the face of the document.
The tax shall be upon the person who is the seller or the grantor.
If the value of the real estate transferred is $100.00 or more, payment of State and County transfer tax is required.
Rate of County tax: $ .55 per $500 & under or fraction thereof
Rate of State tax: $3.75 per $500 & under or fraction thereof
In the case of an exchange of two properties, the deeds transferring title to each are subject to tax, and in each case shall be computed on the basis or the actual value of the property conveyed.
Conveyances affecting property situated in more than one county must state the portion of the sales price attributable to each parcel lying in the separate counties and transfer tax must be paid to each county for that portion of the sale price.
No fee is charged for filing the "Real Estate Transfer Valuation Affidavit", but the instrument should state that a real estate valuation affidavit is being filed.
|COPIES AND SEARCHES|
|Copy, real estate records, per page||$1.00|
|Copy, U.C.C. filing, per page||$2.00|
|Copy, State or Federal Tax Lien, per page||$1.00|
|Copy, Plats of Record||$5.00|
|Fee for certification of any of the above copies per page||$1.00|
|State tax lien search certificate||$3.00|
|Federal tax lien search certificate||$3.00|
|Financing statement (U.C.C.) search certificate:|
|1 debtor name, with social security number or TIN||$3.00|
|1 debtor name, without social security number or TIN||$6.00|
UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE FEES
Under Act No. 348 Public Acts of 2000
Part 5 - Filing
Effective July 1, 2001
Filing and indexing:
|Financing statement of up to 100 pages in length containing 1 or 2 names to be indexed.||$15.00|
|Additional fee for records submitted in a form other than the form contained in Sec. 9521(1) or 9521 (2)||$7.00|
|Additional fee if the record contains more than 100 pages||$12.00|
|Additional fee (per/name after 2) if more than 2 names are required to be indexed||$10.00|
Fees for searches and copies:
|Request for a search of the records including issuing a certificate describing each presently effective record filed concerning the debtor.||$6.00|
|Additional fee if the certificate discloses more than 100 presently effective records concerning the debtor||$6.00|
|Additional fee if the person requests expediting the regular search process||$25.00|
|Per page fee for copies requested||$2.00|