8th District Court - Traffic Division
What is a civil infraction?
In 1979 certain misdemeanor traffic violations were decriminalized and designated as civil infraction violations. As a result, the rights and sanctions associated with misdemeanor offenses were removed and were replaced with the rights and sanctions associated with civil matters.
Note: Traffic related misdemeanor offenses - i.e. Drove While License Suspended, Drove While Intoxicated, Reckless Driving - are handled by the Criminal Division of the District Court.
To view online records visit the District Court Index.
I have been issued a citation, what are my options?
Click here to view a sample ticket/citation.
You will have 10 calendar days from the date the citation was issued to:
- Deny responsibility because you believe you are not responsible for the violation.
- Admit responsibility with an explanation.
- Admit responsibility and pay the fine.
Defective Equipment Tickets
If you received a defective equipment ticket, you may not be required to pay any fine if you repair what is wrong. Within ten (10) calendar days from the date the ticked was issued, complete the following steps:
- Repair the vehicle
- Take the vehicle to any police agency
- A police officer will verify the repair has been made and will sign the back of your ticket.
- Deliver your signed ticket to the court either in person or by mail. Mail to 150 E. Crosstown Parkway, Kalamazoo MI 49001.
Online Ticket Resolution
If your ticket was issued by the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety, your case may be eligible for online ticket resolution. Click here to get started.
Failure to Respond
Failure to respond within 10 calendar days will result in a judgment by default and a $25 default fee, which will be added to the fine and costs. The conviction will be reported to the Secretary of State, who will post the conviction and points (if applicable) to the driving record. A continued failure to respond will result in the suspension of Michigan driving privileges and additional fees.
To be directed to the Secretary of State website, please click here.