Friend of the Court

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I notify the FOC of my address, employer or name change?

A: The Friend of the Court cannot change your personal information without your signature.

Q: How can I get information about my child support case?

A: Call the interactive voice recording (IVR) at 877-543-2660. You will be asked for your social security number and you can find out payment information or talk to a FOC worker for enforcement information or a MiSDU operator to talk about payments.

Q: How do I get my case reviewed?

A: Three years after the last support order or last review, a party may request a review by submitting a signed letter.

Q: How long does a review take?

A: 2-6 months from start to new ordering entered.

Q: Why is there a review on my case?

A: Either a party requested the review or in a matter where there is State assistance (Medicaid, Food Stamps, TANF) the state may initiate a review.

Q: How do I start a case?

A: Call the Office of Child Support at 866-540-0008 or go to the DHHS website for application 1201e.

Q: Do I have to let my child go for parenting time if it appears that the other parent has been drinking or using drugs, or if the child could be in any other type of danger?

A: That is your decision.  If you make the decision to deny parenting time in these circumstances, you may be asked to explain to the Court why you felt your decision was in the best interest of the child.  You will then be required to establish that there was an apparent danger to the child that caused you to deny the scheduled parenting time.

Q: Does the Friend of the Court have a responsibility to investigate alleged abuse and/or neglect of a child?

A: No.  The Friend of the Court is not responsible for investigating child abuse or neglect.  Allegations of abuse or neglect should be reported to the Children's Protective Service unit of your local Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) office.

Q: How can I change my current custody and/or parenting time order?

A: If you believe the current custody or parenting time order should be modified, or you would like to add specific provisions to your order, you may discuss the matter with an attorney or file a motion with the court.  If both parents agree to attempt to resolve the matter without going to court, mediation services are available through Gryphon Place in Kalamazoo.  For more information regarding mediation, please contact the Friend of the Court office at 877-543-2660.

Q: If the payer isn't paying support, do I have to send my child(ren) for parenting time?

A: Yes, one has nothing to do with the other.  The same goes if the custodial parent isn't allowing parenting time; the payer must still pay their court ordered obligation.