Kalamazoo County Jury Services

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: If I am over the age of 70, do I have to serve?

A: If you are over 70 years of age, you have the option to serve.
If you would like to serve complete the juror questionnaire online
If you do not want to serve contact the Jury Services office immediately.


Q: I have recently changed my residence to another county/state.

A: You must submit a copy of your driver's license or state ID (front and back) showing your new address. Failure to provide proof will qualify you to serve.

Q: What do I do if I live in another state for the Winter months?

A: You can be postponed/rescheduled to a date when you have returned to Michigan. It is your responsibility to contact Jury Services, request must be made at least 7 days before date of jury service.

Q: If I am a full-time college student am I exempt from Jury Services?

A: No, college students are not exempt from serving.
A jury summons is an official court order with which you must comply. You will need to show your summons to your professors and advise them of your upcoming obligation. Students may defer their service to a time when they are on a break.

Q: If I am serving in the military, am I automatically exempt?

A: No, you are not exempt. If you are active duty military stationed out of the State you must submit a copy of your active duty orders for review and possible exemption. Documents may be submitted using the online Juror Questionnaire portal, and by fax or email as listed on your Jury Summons.

Transportation/Child Care:

Q: Do the courts provide daycare or transportation?

A: No. You will need to pre-arrange daycare for your service date(s) and arrange for your own transportation. All of our court locations are on the Metro Transit bus line.


Q: If I am a nursing mother, can I be excused from jury service?

A: A nursing mother may claim exemption for the period during which she is nursing her child.  Contact Jury Services to be deferred.  The Courts provide accommodations for mothers to pump as well as refrigerate.  Please contact Jury Services for additional information.

Q: I am legally blind. Can I still serve on a jury?

Yes, you can serve.  Please contact Jury Services regarding accommodations.

Q: I am hearing impaired. Can I still serve on a jury?

Yes, you can serve.  Please contact Jury Services regarding accommodations.


Q: I am not a United States Citizen. Why was I selected?

A: Anyone with a valid Michigan driver’s license or Michigan identification card with a legal address of Kalamazoo County is pre-eligible for jury service. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will not be able to serve as a juror. To be exempt,you must submit a copy of your citizenship status. Acceptable documentation would be: permanent resident Card (Green Card), Passport, or your Visa (HB1, etc.).


Q: Will I be paid for being a juror?

Yes. Jurors will be paid at the statutory rate for half day or full day service.

Q: Must my employer pay me while I am on jury service?

A: Your employer is not required to pay you while on jury service. However, employers are prohibited by law from firing, disciplining, or threatening an employee for serving as a juror.

Q: My job is too demanding (or, I work in a small office/am self-employed) and I don't have time to serve on a jury. Do I still have to serve?

A: Yes. A summons is an official court order requiring you to appear for service. The court does understand that every juror has personal or professional obligations. There are no categories of employment that would result in automatic excusal from service.


Q: May I bring my cell phone or other electronic devices with me?

A: Yes. Use of cell phones and electronic devices are allowed in the jury assembly room. Please turn them off prior to entering the courtroom. For the comfort of fellow Jurors, we ask that you do not use speakers while using your electronic devices .


Q: May I bring food or beverages into the courthouse?

You are allowed to bring food and beverages into the building when you present security staff your jury summons.


Q: What if I need to reschedule or postpone my service date?


If this is your first time rescheduling/postponing, visit, complete your juror questionnaire, then a tab will open to the left that will allow you to reschedule your service date.

If you have previously rescheduled or postponed, you will have to contact the Jury Services office at (269) 383-8952 to see if you qualify to reschedule or postpone a subsequent time.

Fail to Appear:

Q: What happens if I do not report for jury service as summoned?

A: If you fail to appear as directed by your summons, you may be held in contempt of court, fined and/or jailed, as provided by MCL 600.1346.

Religious Beliefs:

Q: What if personal or religious beliefs prohibit me from passing judgment on others?

During jury selection, you will have an opportunity to express your concerns.


Q: I am a smoker. Will I be able to go outside to take a break?

A: Yes, however, all County facilities are smoke-free environments. You will need to wait until your lunch break to smoke outside and off county property.