Office of Drain Commissioner
There are many Michigan water and soil resources available online. This page is a collection for general non-storm water-specific links. The Kalamazoo County Drain Office has a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System Permit that is administered by the State of Michigan. Please see our Storm Water Education page for more information about that permit and other storm water programs.
Maps of local storm water systems: drains, basins, storm water sewers; soils, wetlands and many other helpful visual resources.
- Kalamazoo County Geographical Information System (Maps and Airphotos)
- City of Kalamazoo Geographical Information System (Maps and Airphotos)
- City of Portage Geographical Information System (Maps and Airphotos)
- United States Geological Service Topographic Maps by County
- This website describes soils and the general engineering characteristics associated with them.
Web Soil Survey
Kalamazoo County Surface Water Levels and Flows
Other Kalamazoo County websites:
The Kalamazoo County Environmental Health is a major source of information on water quality including but not limited to Lake and Stream Monitoring, Surface Water Quality, Well Water Quality Search, The Health Effects of the Enbridge Oil Spill, and Information on the Kalamazoo River Oil Spill. Check it out!
State of Michigan Sites:
- Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy and its Water Resources Division more specifically, has many good places to explore.
Federal Websites about Kalamazoo County Water
- United States Geologic Survey's (USGS) Michigan Water Science Center
- US Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Surf Your Watershed
- Kalamazoo River Watershed in Kalamazoo County
- St. Joseph River Watershed in Kalamazoo County
Weather and Flooding
- NOAA Weather Forecasting
- NOAA River Flooding Prediction Service
- NOAA Weather History
- See EGLE National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and Dam Safety for more information.