Office of Drain Commissioner
Storm Water Education: Lawn and Garden Tips
- Try to minimize lawn/turf areas and use native, low maintenance plantings.
- Smart native choices for Michigan Landscapes
- Butterfly gardens
- Riparian owner’s guidebook for watershed management
- Michigan Low Impact Development Guide
- Article on Green Infrastructure Water Management
- NOAA Article - Protecting Coastal Habitats
- Lawn Care problems and solutions
- Services - Michigan Natural Features Inventory (msu.edu)
If you live close to a lake, wetland or any other body of water, establish a “no mow” zone around the edges like pictures above at Goldsworth Valley Pond on WMU’s campus.
Composting at home can also help your yard become more nutrient dense and water friendly without using synthetic fertilizers!
Chief Deputy Drain Commissioner
Physical Address Show Map
201 West Kalamazoo Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
8:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday