Kalamaoo County

Environmental Health


A temporary food business is an establishment operating at a fixed location for not more than fourteen (14) consecutive days in conjunction with a single event or celebration. Examples include:

  • a food booth at a fair, football game, etc.
  • a restaurant preparing food offsite
  • a private organization serving food to the public
  • a rental hall
  • a catering kitchen

To apply for a temporary food establishment you must submit a Temporary Food Service License Application and pay any associated fees at least four (4) working days in advance of the proposed first day of operation.

Instructions for completing the Temporary Food Establishment License application
Contact our office at (269) 373-5210 if you have specific questions about your operation.

Proper Food Holding and Cooking Practices

Raw animal foods must be kept separate from ready-to-eat foods during storage, preparation, holding, and display. After being used for raw animals foods, utensils and equipment must be cleaned and sanitized before being used for ready-to-eat foods.

Proper Holding Temperatures:

  • Cold food must be held at 41°F or below.
  • Hot food must be held at 135°F or above.

Proper Cooking Temperatures:

  • Poultry: 165°F
  • Stuffed Products: 165°F
  • Hamburger: 155°F
  • Sausage: 155°F
  • Pork: 145°F
  • Beef: 145°F
  • Fish: 145°F
  • Hot Dogs: 135°F

A metal stem thermometer must be provided to check internal temperatures of potentially hazardous hot and cold food. The thermometer must have a range of 0-220°F, and be accurate to within +/- 2°F. In addition, each cold holding unit must have a working thermometer inside it.

Special Transitory Food Unit

Special Transitory Food Unit (STFU) License is a license for a self-contained food establishment that can be set up anywhere such as at a park or festival site. An example of a STFU is a food wagon commonly seen at county fairs and festivals. An STFU with a Michigan license can go anywhere in the state and requires two inspections per licensed year.

Notify this office no less than 4 days in advance when planning on setting up your Special Transitory Food Unit and serving the public. A $90 payment will be due prior to or at time of inspection.

The Kalamazoo County Health and Community Services Department programs are open to all without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, height, weight, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.

Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Kalamazoo County.