Environmental Health

Child and Adult Care Facilities

Child and adult care homes and centers are licensed by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHS). The MDHS can provide information on licensing and the location of licensed care facilities.

Our staff inspect licensed facilities to evaluate the safety of onsite water supplies, onsite sewage disposal systems, food service, and general living conditions. Staff also respond to complaints of unsanitary or unsafe conditions in child and adult care facilities.

We also review plans for new child care centers and perform inspections prior to new facilities being licensed by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

For more information specific to licensing consult the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services website.

Healthy Kids, Healthy Care, a national child care site, is a very good resource for information on childcare.

Helpful Links:

Michigan Child Care Resources
Michigan Adult Foster Care Resources
Children's Safety Network
Safe Kids Worldwide
Child Care Licensing Rules
Adult Care Licensing Rules

Contact Us

311 E. Alcott St.
Kalamazoo, MI 49001

269-373-5333 (FAX)
269-373-5200 (HCS main line)


8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday thru Friday



Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services is committed to providing equitable, culturally competent care to all individuals served, regardless of race, age, sex, color, national origin, religion, height, weight, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. 

Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Kalamazoo County.