Drinking Water

What To Do in the Event of a Loss of Pressure

If your water system loses pressure due to a power loss or other event, there are steps you should take to eliminate the chance of contamination.

Normally, your water system is under constant pressure. A loss of pressure can produce backflow in the system, leaving the water supply vulnerable to contamination.

If no water is used during a power loss and the system maintains positive pressure, there may be no need to implement precautionary measures. However, if water is used and the system losses pressure for an extended period of time, precautionary measures should be implemented.

Listed below are the necessary steps to protect public health when water service is restored.

  • Provide bottled water for drinking, cooking, making ice, etc.
  • Post a public notice to not consume the tap water (see attached notice).
  • Flush the water system thoroughly. 1-2 hours through a hose connected to an outside faucet that is open fully.
  • Collect at least 1 coliform bacteria water sample. Result must indicate the absence of bacteria.
  • Disinfect the system if water samples show the presence of coliform bacteria.
  • Obtain approval to resume consumption of the water from Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services Department.

The purpose is the same in all situations, to prevent consumption of water that could be contaminated with bacteria.

Helpful Links

Public Notice for loss of pressure
Simple Chlorination
Sampling Techniques

Contact Us

311 E. Alcott St.
Kalamazoo, MI 49001

269-373-5333 (FAX)
269-373-5200 (HCS main line)


8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday thru Friday

Connect with HCS through:



Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services is committed to providing equitable, culturally competent care to all individuals served, regardless of race, age, sex, color, national origin, religion, height, weight, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. 

Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Kalamazoo County.