Drinking Water

Noncommunity Water Supply System (NCWS) Type II

Quick Links

Revised Total Coliform Rule

Operator Training & Certification Information

Type II Listserv

2011 Operator Certification Program Changes

Sanitary Surveys

Sampling Techniques

Coliform Response

Monitoring Requirements

What to do in the event of a water pressure loss

A Type II Noncommunity Water Supply system is a privately owned water system that provides drinking water to 25 or more persons at least 60 days per year. Noncommunity Water Supply systems are divided into two categories: transient and nontransient. A transient noncommunity water supply is a supply that serves 25 or more different people a day at least 60 days of the year. Examples include motels, restaurants and campgrounds. A nontransient noncommunity water supply is a supply that serves the same 25 or more people at least 180 days of the year. These facilities are required to sample for more drinking water contaminants and more frequently for bacteria than transient water supplies. Examples include schools, industries and office buildings.

Environmental Health is contracted by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality to maintain all records for Type II Noncommunity Water Supplies.

Our program focuses on compliance with the monitoring and construction rules set forth in the Safe Drinking Water Act. Through routine inspections and review of all water samples submitted by Type II water supplies, we have developed a sophisticated program to insure users of public water supplies in Kalamazoo County are protected against harmful contaminants in the drinking water.

Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services Department is contracted by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) to maintain all records for Type II Noncommunity Water Supplies in Kalamazoo County. Kalamazoo County has nearly 200 Type II water supplies. Michigan has over 11,000 NCWS systems serving over 1.7 million people.

Annual fees are charged to owners of all NCWSs. These funds are collected by MDEQ and distributed to Local Health Departments in order to support services provided to NCWSs.

Helpful Links

EPA Cross connection manual (large pdf)
MDEQ Cross connection manual
Act 399
MDEQ Noncommunity Water Supply Program Website
Permit application
Owners guide pamphlet
Simple chlorination recommendations

Contact Us

311 E. Alcott St.
Kalamazoo, MI 49001

269-373-5333 (FAX)
269-373-5200 (HCS main line)


8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday thru Friday

Connect with HCS through:



Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services is committed to providing equitable, culturally competent care to all individuals served, regardless of race, age, sex, color, national origin, religion, height, weight, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. 

Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Kalamazoo County.