Food Service

Food Safety Classes

Food Manager Certification

All food service establishments (e.g. restaurants, bars, schools, hospitals, mobile food establishments, and special transitory food units) must have a certified food manager. Temporary food service establishments are exempt from this rule.

To be certified you must pass an ANSI/CFP nationally accredited exam once every 5 years.  To prepare for the exam, most individuals take a class (in person or on-line) or self-study.  Exams are proctored and must be taken either at an approved testing site or are given at the end of a course by an approved instructor.

The following courses are ANSI/CFP Nationally Accredited Exams Used by Course Providers

Michigan State University Extension offers ServSafe® training, which is a national certification program. This class is designed for anyone working in the food service industry, including non-profit organizations.

To register online for a ServSafe course taught by MSU Extension, visit

Allergen Training Requirement

Public Act 516 of 2014 requires the certified food safety manager at all food service establishments complete an additional allergen training requirement and display an allergens poster. This requirement is to be met by January 2017.

Become compliant by following these two steps:

  1. Hang an allergen awareness poster in your establishment. Posters are linked below.
  2. Complete allergens awareness training program and display the certificate.

The following course are approved

National Restaurant Association On-line Allergen Course
AllerTrain and AllerTrain U
TAP Series Certified Food Allergen Awareness
Michigan Food Allergens Training
State Approved Allergen Awareness Training - Always Food Safe

Frequently Asked Questions
Allergen Course Approval Criteria
Allergen Poster Approval Criteria
List of Food Service Establishments Exempted from Food Allergen Training(s)

Allergen Posters for Printing and Posting:

Contact Us

311 E. Alcott St.
Kalamazoo, MI 49001

269-373-5333 (FAX)
269-373-5200 (HCS main line)


8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday thru Friday

Connect with HCS through:



Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services is committed to providing equitable, culturally competent care to all individuals served, regardless of race, age, sex, color, national origin, religion, height, weight, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. 

Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Kalamazoo County.