Household Hazardous Waste Center
Used Motor Oil Recycling
- The Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Center accepts used motor oil as well as oil filters!
- Pure, used motor oil has the most recycling potential.
- However, the Center is able to recycle motor oil that has already been contaminated with gasoline, antifreeze or water. Please alert the technician that unloads your vehicle or write contaminants on container.
- Returning used oil to the original 5-quart jug works well and reduces additional waste because you aren't contaminating another plastic container that can otherwise be recycled. Otherwise, use a sturdy, 5-gallon or smaller container with a tight fitting lid such as a laundry detergent bottle, please write "OIL" on container.
- Avoid milk jugs that easily crack and leak and avoid beverage bottles to prevent accidental poisonings.
- If containers do leak, place the whole thing in a larger container such as a 5-gallon bucket or tote.
- Place drained oil filters in 5-gallon buckets with lids and the technician will empty the bucket and return it to you for next time.
- Keep lids on oil containers in storage to keep them free of water, leaves, insects and small critters like mice and frogs.
- Secure caps and lids for transport to prevent spills and leaks in your vehicle and on the road.
- Place empty oil containers into the regular trash, empty oil containers are NOT RECYCLABLE.
- If you are unable to make it to the HHW Center, other Kalamazoo businesses also accept used motor oil but you should always call first for availability or limitations.