Personal Health Division

Medical Marijuana


Both spellings are acceptable. To avoid confusion, many in the industry refer to the botanical plant — cannabis. Michigan adopted its statutory definition in the Public Health Code, utilizing the then current federal spelling, with an “h”. While the spelling with a “j” is more common today, you will still see Michigan law using the “h” spelling. (cited from the MRA website)


KCHCS and the Kalamazoo County Substance Abuse Task Force has teamed up on a public health campaign focused on education and outreach in Kalamazoo County. This initiative is funded by the state’s Medical Marihuana Operation and Oversight Grant. The overall goal of the campaign is to increase the level of knowledge of the laws, the health effects associated with its use, and the safe handling, and storage by legal cannabis consumers.


Child Proof Packaging

Keep the following in mind when storing:

  • Use a lock box
  • Keep it in the box at all times
  • Never leave it out, even if you plan to use it soon
  • Keep it out of sight and out of reach of children

Keep marijuana and marijuana edibles away from children and pets

Call the Poison Control Hotline at 1-800-222-1222 if your child has accidentally eaten marijuana. Call 911 or go to the emergency room right away if your child is not breathing or is unconscious.

Call the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 or call your veterinarian if your pet has accidentally eaten marijuana.


Public Health

Contact Us

311 E. Alcott St.
Kalamazoo, MI 49001

269-373-5200 (HCS main line)

Request Immunization Records


Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services is committed to providing equitable, culturally competent care to all individuals served, regardless of race, age, sex, color, national origin, religion, height, weight, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. 

Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Kalamazoo County.