Personal Health Division

WIC - When to Call for Help

Before the baby is born, call if:

  • You have questions about breastfeeding.
  • You have flat or inverted nipples.
  • You have not yet attended prenatal breastfeeding classes.

After the baby is born, call if:

  • The baby is not latching-on or nursing in a comfortable rhythmic pattern.
  • You are engorged or having pain when you breastfeed. Breastfeeding IS NOT supposed to hurt!

You would like to see if you are eligible for a breast pump;

  • To be eligible for a manual hand pump or pedal pump, you must be at least 2 weeks postpartum and meet one or more of the qualifying conditions below: 
    • Return to school or work part time
    • Temporary breastfeeding problems (engorgement, sore nipples, etc.)
    • Infant has not yet learned how to latch on and effectively feed at the breast
    • Occasional mother/infants separation due to illness, prematurity, hospitalization

  • To be eligible for an electric breast pump, you must meet all the following criteria:
    • Be at least 6 weeks postpartum
    • Be full time breastfeeding, not receiving formula from the WIC program
    • Be separated from the infant more than six hours at a time
    • Be separated from the infant at least 3 days per week

Please note: Personal use breast pumps are not to be used as a replacement for putting the infant to the breast.

Who should I call for breastfeeding help?

  • WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor provides free counseling via telephone or home visits to help you successfully breastfeed your baby.  The Peer Counsel is available in the WIC office on Mondays. Please call for more information or an appointment at 269-373-5358
  • Bronson Lactation Consultant provides free phone consultation at 269-341-8849
  • Borgess Breastfeeding Hotline provides free phone consultation with a registered nurse at 269-226-8032

Online Resources:

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email: 

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services is committed to providing equitable, culturally competent care to all individuals served, regardless of race, age, sex, color, national origin, religion, height, weight, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. 

Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Kalamazoo County.