Data & Reporting
Reporting a communicable disease is important. Reporting:
- Provides a means for assessing trends in epidemic patterns and identifying outbreaks
- Provides understanding of the impact that the burden of disease has on populations, on health care infrastructure, and provides needed information to better target disease prevention efforts
- Assures the adequate treatment of infected individuals in order to reduce the duration of infectiousness and prevent sequelae of infection
- Identifies cases in a timely fashion to interrupt the chain of infection through patient-level interventions, such as management of sexual contacts and behavioral risk reduction counseling
The following sexually transmitted infections are reportable to Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services:
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Lymphogranuloma Venereum (LGV)
Physicians and laboratories are required by law to report these infections to the health department within a 24 hour time period.*
Reports should be entered electronically into the Michigan Disease Surveillance System (MDSS). For reporting related questions or to register for MDSS, please call (269) 373-5198.
*HIV should be reported as soon as possible, but is required to be reported within seven days.
Communicable Disease Reporting - Health Care Professional's Guide to Disease Reporting in Michigan
Reporting STDs in MDSS - Directions for Healthcare Providers Reporting Chlamydia and Gonorrhea Cases using MDSS
For more STD reporting and surveillance information, click here.
The Kalamazoo County Health and Community Services Department uses a variety of data sources to monitor the health and well-being of Kalamazoo County residents. The data hub site brings these data sources together to make it more accessible to the community. The data is organized by determinants of health (clinical care, health behaviors, and social determinants of health) and health outcomes (morbidity and mortality).
For quarterly STD report, click here.
Questions and data requests should be emailed to email@example.com.