Health and Community Services Department
VETERANS SERVICE OFFICE
3299 Gull Rd., Kalamazoo, MI 49048
2nd Wing, 3rd Floor
(Rm 310: Reception/Check-in)
Monday, 0830 to 1600 (8:30AM - 4:00PM) - WALK-INS
Tuesday - Friday, 0800 to 1600 (8:00AM - 4:00PM) - By APPOINTMENT
Serving the Veterans of Kalamazoo County, Michigan
The Kalamazoo County Veterans Service Office is committed to providing services and assistance to those men and women who have
honorably served their country. We pledge to continue the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs policy of "putting veterans first."
It is our privilege to guarantee that veterans will receive, and are informed of, all federal, state or county benefits to which
they and their dependents may be entitled free of charge.
We treat all veterans with courtesy, compassion and respect.
We can help you with:
- Claims filing for VA disability benefits
- Dependents and survivors benefits
- VA Home Loan Guaranty
- Burial and headstone benefits
- Education benefits
- Medical treatment
- Military records and medals
- Emergency financial aid
- Michigan Veterans Trust Fund Agents
- Assistance referrals
- Transport to the VA Medical Center in Battle Creek
Service officers from the Marine Corps League and the American Legion are available each week to assist in filing claims and to
counsel veterans on Federal benefits.
Non-Service Connection Pension with Aid and Attendance (A&A)
As our population ages this veterans benefit has come more to the forefront. Elderly veterans and in many instances their
children are looking for financial assistance for nursing home or assisted living care. Before you make any commitments to
attorneys or private commercial firms you should contact your local Veterans Service Office. The old adage, "if it looks too good
to be true it probably is" should be taken into consideration. Your county veterans office has one interest, THE VETERAN, and will
do everything possible to see that he/she receives anything and everything to which their military service gains them entitlement.
Documents Needed For Non-Service Connected Pension A&A:
- Discharge Papers: DD214 or WWII Equivalent
- Marriage License
- Death Certificate
- Divorce Degrees
- $$ Number For Assets (Not Including Home)
- Income: Social Security and Any Pensions or Annuities
- Out of Pocket Medical Expenses
- Medicare Supplement Premiums
- Co-Pays For Doctors
- Co-Pays For Pharmacy
- Dental and Eye Glasses
- Incontinence Supplies ("Depends" ®)
- Prosthetics, Canes, Wheel Chairs, etc.
- Doctors Statement: VA Form 2680
Note: Keep in mind that everything is based on household (both veteran and spouse's) income and expenses.
The Kalamazoo County Veterans Service Office sponsors a number of activities designed to promote the recognition of veterans'
contributions to the community and our country.
- Homeless Veterans STAND DOWN. An event to provide much needed assistance to less fortunate veterans who find themselves in
a position of financial, physical or emotional homelessness. Medical care, dental assessments, clothing, food and counseling are
provided for by a joint venture of various community organizations.
- Veterans Day Remembrance Ceremony. Co-sponsored with Kalamazoo Sunrise Rotary, and held each year on November 11th at Rose Park in the City of Kalamazoo to honor all veterans who served in the armed forces from our community.
- Memorial Day Parade. Co-sponsored with Kalamazoo Sunrise Rotary, and held on Memorial Day each year to recognize the veterans who gave their lives for our freedom. The parade ends at Riverside Cemetery in the City of Kalamazoo.
Throughout the year the Veterans Service Office employees speak at various veterans and community functions to promote the
recognition of veterans and inform the veterans and their families about federal, state and county benefits that are available
to them. If your group would like to request a speaker please contact the Veterans Service Office at (269) 373-5284.
Links of Interest:
Please note that the links on this page are outbound to other Web sites. Clicking on any of the links on this page will take
you out of this Web site. In order to find us again, either bookmark this site or save to favorites before clicking on one of the
Disclaimer: This information is provided as a resource. Each topic may not contain an exhaustive list of
every possible resource. We do not have staff to monitor these websites. If you are concerned about the integrity of a site,
please check the Better Business Bureau of Western Michigan,
the Kalamazoo County Chamber of Commerce,
the Michigan Office of the Attorney General, or another agency that licenses or monitors organizations.
Area Agency on Aging IIIA
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - Veterans Or 1-800-273-TALK
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
VA Health Benefits
VA Education Benefits
Center for Women Veterans
Grand Rapids Home for Veterans, Dept. of Military and Veterans Affairs-state run organization
Veterans Helping Veterans (269) 420-7638 - Call for information on assistance
Contact Us: (269) 373-5361
Mike Hoss, Veterans Service Coordinator
Daniel Harasim, Veterans Service Specialist
Location: 3299 Gull Rd, Kalamazoo MI 49048, 2nd Wing, 3rd Floor (Rm 310: Reception/Check-in)
Monday, 0830 to 1600 (8:30AM - 4:00PM) - WALK-INS
Tuesday - Friday, 0800 to 1600 (8:00AM - 4:00PM) - By APPOINTMENT ONLY