Office of the Sheriff
Memo from Sheriff Fuller Answers #8CANTWAIT Questions About Use of Force
Since the tragic death of George Floyd, a Minneapolis Minnesota man in police custody on May
25, 2020, there have been many questions raised concerning police work in our county. These questions have been directed to our local elected officials and to me. These questions relate to how members of the Kalamazoo County Sheriffs Office use force when necessary while performing our duties.
My goal with this memo is to provide some answers to any concerns regarding the below.
• Banning chokeholds & strangleholds
• Require de-escalation techniques
• Require warning before shooting
• Require exhausting all alternatives before deploying duty weapon.
• Duty to intervene
• Ban shooting at moving vehicles
• Require use of force continuum
• Require comprehensive reporting
Click here to continue reading the open letter from Sheriff Fuller.
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020